Tuesday, October 6, 2009

COFFEE BREAK 64

+ updayed at 2:19pm ESDT

+ I am contemplating a major change in the way I deal with politics. I have never seen such bitterness and I am more and more convinced that blaming the Right Wing is simply not the way to deal with this problem. The pundits and politicians and preachers of the Left Wing are just as much to blame.

This does not mean that I will stop being critical of the pundits and politicians and preachers of the Right Wing. They are indeed responsible for plenty of the bitterness. Racism can not be discounted. Racism runs deep in the United States and all too many of us fail to deal with the systematic cruelty which has been so destructive to so many people here over the centuries.

I had to say that before I go on to my criticism of the pundits and politicians and preachers of the Left Wing. Self criticism will be a part of this critique because I am indeed a preacher often associated with the Left Wing and I probably will continue to be such a preacher.

Yes, let me begin with myself. I contribute to the bitterness. I allow myself to be delighted by the rants of Left Wingers and avoid hearing the legitimate criticism of the Left by the Right.

So, I am going to try to listen to Right Wingers with far more respect and appreciation for their ideas and their basic goodness. I am becoming more and more convinced that we all need to do this. People on both sides need to find all kinds of ways to be far more respectful, far more appreciative of the ideas and basic goodness of all other people, people with whom we agree and people with whom we disagree.

Humility is essential.

Open-mindedness is essential. I often point to the famous quote by Learned Hand:

"The spirit of liberty is the spirit of not being too sure you are right.”

I so often use this quote against others! I need to apply it to myself.

(to be continued ... over another cup of coffee of course!)

2:19pm update + A couple of my Facebook friends commented:

Alan wrote: "Well said, John. I must confess that I have done the same thing--bristling at the rudeness toward Mr. Obama, but sniggering at the rudeness toward Mr. Bush. I like your quote: "The spirit of liberty is the spirit of not being too sure you are right.” I often need a good dose of "not being too sure I am right.""

+ Matthew wrote: "I agree, John. While I think it is important to not let the opposition go unchecked, I have, for example, stopped watching the cable hotheads. I read the blogs, the mainstream online stuff, etc. I feel that the live anger that comes across the television screen is creating the greatest threat to rational discourse in this country. In fact, the president has said as much -- and often."

+ Also, 1 comment was made here. See comments below.

3 comments:

Malagodi said...

And he was told but these few words,
Which opened up his heart,

"If ye cannot bring good news,
then don't bring any."

John said...

We live in a time of great change, and times of great change are times of great anxiety. Politics on both sides of the divide reflects the action and reaction of anxiety. Especially is that so on the Right, because those there want so desperately to keep the status quo or even go back to some golden age that exists only in their minds. If only they could see that change is what they fear and then try to influence the
change rather than just be against any change at all. But we as Christians need to imitate Jesus Christ as we approach the imperfections of the world on both sides of the political spectrum and always remember the he is Lord and not any Caesar however attractive.

John Shuck said...

I hear you. This is a tough one. I don't know the appropriate response. I appreciate you!